RECIPE: Smoked, Truly Country Style Ribs
July 5, 2021
Country style ribs are a thick, meaty cut. They are delicious smoked and have the internal structure to stand up to a lot of cooking. I like mine to be done, but not cooked so much that they lose their meaty bite.
~¼ c mustard
~½ c any BBQ rub
1 c BBQ sauce
½ c pineapple juice
Oven-safe container that will fit all your ribs in a single layer (a lasagna pan with Al foil on top)
- Assemble your rub. A great place to start is the basic rub from How to BBQ Right. A big shout out to Malcom Reed, who has been our guide in learning how to smoke great meals.
- Coat thawed ribs liberally with mustard on all sides, then cover liberally on all sides with the rub
- Let your ribs warm up on the counter while your smoker heats up (~30 minutes, and you can skip this if the food safety aspect makes you nervous)
- Preheat smoker to 200-225°F, add the ribs and smoke 3-4 hrs. You can either put your ribs directly on the rack or on a cooling rack that fits in your smoker (this is our preference because it makes transferring them to and from the smoker easier).
- Preheat oven to 275°F and mix the pineapple juice and ½ c BBQ sauce together.
- Transfer your ribs and juice mixture to the oven safe container and bake covered until the meat comes to 205°F (1-2 hrs).
- Then put the ribs back on the cooling rack, brush on some extra bbq sauce, and transfer the ribs back in the smoker.
- Smoke for an additional 15-30 minutes at 275°F, until they get nice and tacky looking.
- Rest 10 min and serve.
Delicious rubbed down ribs ready to go in the smoker!