RECIPE: Stan's Favorite Green Chili
July 5, 2021
My dad (Stan) is a green chili connoisseur and can be relied upon to order huevos rancheros any time it is on the menu. After decades of exhaustive green chili sampling, he has a clear favorite. This green chili recipe is an easy go-to for a spicy topping and is totally delicious by the bowl.
1 10 oz can tomato and hot or regular green chilies
1 27 oz can green chili strips
1 large onion, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
5 garlic cloves or to taste
4-7 hot peppers
3 Tbsp flour
Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim fat from roast and cut meat into bite sized pieces
- Brow meat on high, stirring often.
- Add 3 cloves of garlic to browned pork.
- After 5 minutes add diced celery and onion. Stir often until brown.
- Add both cans of chilies and cut up peppers.
- Add enough water to cover all ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering for 4-5 hours.
- About 1 hour before finishing, add 3 Tbsp flour and 1 C water to thicken.
- Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.
Note: Want extra amazing flavor for your green chili? Try roasting your own peppers.
- Use 5-7 peppers of your choice, cut in half, remove seeds.
- Place skin up on oven cookie sheet. Roast 10 min at 350°F.
- Turn oven off and turn broiler on. Broil peppers until skin is dark, dry, and beings to blister.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven, allow to cool, and remove skins.
- Dice peppers to preferred size. The flavor is going to POP!