RECIPE: The Real Sloppy Joe
September 12, 2021
Made with real ingredients, this proved to my kids that sloppy joes are delicious! Nothing like the paltry imitations served in cafeterias or made from boxes.
- 2 lb Ramstead ground beef
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, mashed or minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 c ketchup
- 2/3 c water
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat butter over medium-high heat in a large pot or skillet. Brown meat while breaking meat into fine chunks for ~5 minutes. Add onions and bell peppers, and cook for another 3 minutes. Then add garlic.
- Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a bowl and mix well to break up the tomato paste.
- Add mixture to the pot with the meat and veggies and mix well to combine.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.