RECIPE: Quick BBQ chicken
March 29, 2021
This is my go-to quick and easy recipe for getting dinner in the oven fast so I can go water the garden or walk my dog and come back to a delicious feast! Accordingly, I play it a bit fast and loose with the ingredients.
- Ramstead Ranch chicken legs or wings
- ~1/3c olive oil (the exact amount depends on the pan size and amount of meat, you want to be sure there is enough at the end that it just covers the whole bottom on the pan, so you don't burn and so you have about 1/3c drippings for a delicious BBQ sauce)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Other spices (I switch it up every time, usually about 1/2-1 tsp of each for a total of 4 tsp)- mustard, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne or chili powder, spice mixes like Italian or Greek seasonings also work well.
- Thaw your meat
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a gallon ziploc or big bowl, combine all your spices. Mix well. Then add the olive oil.
- Add your chicken to your bag or bowl and mix it all around until the chicken is well coated.
- Lay your chicken out in an oven safe backing dish. I typically size it so that the pieces are just touching. Empty any remaining oil-spice mixture over the top.
- Place your oven in the middle rack and bake to an internal temperature of 160°F, typically 45 min to 1 hr (legs take longer than wings). Flip the meat after about 30 minutes so both sides get golden and crispy.