RECIPE: Porchetta, Roasted Pork Belly
July 4, 2021
Serve this Italian treat either hot as an entree or sliced thin and cold for sandwiches. Both are sure to please.
- 7 lb boneless Ramstead pork belly
- 1 Tbsp fennel seed toasted and coarsely ground
- 1 ½ Tbsp minced sage
- 1 ½ Tbsp minced rosemary
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- Sheet pan
- Kitchen twine
- 2 prong roasting fork
- Score the fat (skin) side lightly in diamond pattern, about 1 inch between lines.
- Turn over pork belly and pierce with roasting fork about 1 inch apart.
- In small bowl, mix fennel, sage, rosemary, red pepper, garlic, salt, sugar, black pepper, lemon zest, and olive oil to form paste.
- Rub the marinade paste all over the pork.
- Place on sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 2-3 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Roll from uncut side into roll (keep the scored side out).
- Tie with twine tightly about 1” apart.
- Spread the sliced onion on sheet pan and add enough water to cover the bottom of pan.
- Place the roast on top.
- Roast at 475°F for ½ hour, rotating once if necessary.
- Decrease oven temperature to 325°F and continue baking for 2 more hours.
- Check frequently to maintain water in pan.
- Remove from oven and rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove twine and slice thin.