RECIPE: Hearty Beef Stew
August 31, 2021
This is the perfect, hearty stew for rainy days and long cozy winter nights. Easy enough for busy schedules, the aromas that waft while it is cooking will make your house smell like home.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat or beef shanks from Ramstead Ranch
- Oil of your choice
- 3 c broth (homemade is best, if you have it!)
Veggies of your choice. Here’s a good medley:
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 leeks, coarsely chopped
- Garlic scapes (optional)
- 1 lb potatoes or yams, cubed
- 2 carrots cut in 2-in lengths
- Herbs of your choice. Try this combo:
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, leeks, and scapes or other aromatic veggies to skillet and saute until soft. Add to your stew pot.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on beef and add to skillet. Don’t skip this step! Sear the sides of the stew meat or shanks, about 1-2 minutes per side without moving.
- Add beef and all remaining ingredients to your stew pot. Cover with more broth or water.
- If cooking on the stove top, simmer on low for 1-2 hrs. Or, follow crock pot/instapot instructions for stews.If using beef shanks, the meat becomes fall apart tender and is easy to separate from the bone and tear into delicious bites.