July 5, 2021
- Ramstesd pork shoulder roast or pork shoulder steaks (~3.5 lbs of meat)
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ c juice from approx. 2 oranges
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Rub with salt and pepper.
- Combine the rub ingredients and use to evenly coat the roast.
- Place the pork in pot with lid. Add water to cover the bottom 1 inch. Roast at 275°F for 3 hours. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and orange juice, roast additional 1 hr.
- Remove pork from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Shred meat using 2 forks. It will be fall-off-the-bone tender.
- Reserve remaining broth.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in skillet on high. Place shredded pork in pan, spreading it evenly so it makes good contact with oil, dividing in batches if necessary. Drizzle with some of the reserved broth.
- Fry until bottom is golden and crusty and liquid has evaporated.
- Turn and BRIEFLY sear the other side.
- Repeat with other batches, if necessary.
- Drizzle more broth over meat just before serving.
- Enjoy in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, sliders...and more.
Carnitas before crisping
Carnitas after crisping